Hullo everyone! Only five days left until the launch of Volume 1, so we’re taking a moment to explore our three major heroes: Cyrus, Val, and BC (who we get to finally meet in this volume!)
You can see the full video above, with the written version below.
- Cyrus is a young man from Valgardia, a land that to most people is considered a myth. That’s obviously kind of an issue for him, since he has pretty much no way to get home, and also has no idea how he got there. Making this worse, he’s got gold hair and eyes that no one else on the continent seems to have, and also happens to have a snarky voice in his head named C that is pretty much constantly shit-talking him.
- I like Cyrus because, well, for all of the circumstances surrounding him he’s just kind of a normal, well-meaning guy. I really liked the idea of having a character thrust into a situation like this, and really asking “how would someone actually respond here?” He’s not perfect, but he’s generally optimistic and resourceful. Just a normal, good guy, woefully unprepared for this world and what it has to offer him.
- Val is an Edaran man, who’s built like if Lebron and Serena Williams had a kid. He’s spent the past 7 years living in the woods with his wolfhounds, Edda and Rowan, and is ultimately a pretty simple man. He likes to be outside, work out, hunt, eat good food, drink good whiskey, and read a good book on occasion. Simple things, but the relentless complexity and violence of the world around him has given rise to a different side of him, The Iron Wolf of Edara.
- I like Val a whole lot because he’s strong, he’s fast, he’s one of the world’s greatest soldiers, and yet the odds are tremendously stacked against him because this is a world with elemental magic and people closer to gods than they are humans. Val knows this just as well as anyone else does, and yet he still struggles, and he still fights, absolutely unbowed and unbroken. I think there’s something so powerful about that.
- BC is a mixed-race Edaran and Juverran with a filthy mouth who is perfectly happy to kick back in the blur of sex and substance that surrounds Velvet, the heart of the Old City’s pleasure district. In the Old City, the blend of a powerful crime underworld and the very nature of a coming together of freelanders makes for a misfit bunch of colorful characters, and in the aftermath of a dark past, there’s nowhere better to go to simply light up, lift a drink, and fade away.
- I love BC because she doesn’t give a fuck. She’s been through a fucking ringer in her life, and that past still follows her, so she responds by whipping out some serious big dick energy, smoking, drinking, and embracing the blur of decadence that swirls around the Pit. BC is the part of all of us that’s a rock star, that’s irreverent, that sometimes wants to just put a middle finger to the world in the face of everything against us, and I can’t wait to see her whole journey.